How do you choose a restaurant after a day of snow and skiing and Swiss sights? Check out our handy list for a few indulgent ideas.
If Switzerland is famous for two things, its the outstanding quality of both its alpine skiing and its indelible
cuisine. It‘s also fair to say that top Swiss ski resort Zermatt has them both in spades.
But with a Matterhorn mountain of meal choices, how do you make sure that your Swiss dining experience is truly first-rate? Our handy guide offers you some of the best locations to quiet everyone’s growling tummy.
1. The Classic — CERVO Restaurant A classic, but there is nothing out-of-date in this Swiss restaurant. An ideal blend of old and new, CERVO’s charm is in its simplicity. Nothing gets in the way of the dining experience. Traditional recipes are reinvigorated and new dishes are dreamed up by chef Seraina Lauber and created from the freshest ingredients, many from the chalet’s own garden. With breathtaking alpine scenery viewed over the modern decor and a glass of Valais wine, you’ll find as many locals here as tourists.Visit Website - CERVO Restaurant
2. The Special Event — Le Gitan For those occasions that want a little something extra, Le Gitan restaurant has you covered. Specialising in special events—birthday parties, family reunions, or New Year’s Eve and holiday events—the family run Le Gitan is unforgettable. The Chef prepares flavourful roasts over a wood fire centerpiece in the candlelit main dining room, while the old-fashioned cafe in the front is there for relaxation after an exhilarating day on the slopes. Meanwhile, the stylish bar is the perfect place to catch up on the days gossip and polish off a night with a classic cocktail.
Visit Website - Le Gitan
3. Romantic Nibbles — Elsie’s Bar Is there romance in the mountain air? It could be from Elsie’s Bar, an ideal locale for couples to share an intimate glass of champagne. With classic Swiss charm, warm wooden construction and cozy little tables for you and your sweetheart, Elsie’s lets you enjoy a cute conversation over a refined selection of Swiss and international delicacies including fresh oysters, fois gras, beef tartar, cheeses and other delights. Be careful, though, you might not want to leave!Visit Website - Elsie's Bar
4. The Mountain Lunch — Restaurant Ried Who says you have to be in town to enjoy good food? At a forty minute walk from town or a pitstop partway down the ski slope, Restaurant Ried is your secret lunch place that you’ll want to keep for yourself. Affordable prices, jaw-dropping views from the terrace, alpine atmosphere, top-notch service and unbeatable food: what more could you want after a morning on the slopes?Visit Website - Restaurant Ried
5. The Dinner With A View - Restaurant Alexandre, Riffelalp Resort Restaurant Alexandre is the jewel in the culinary crown of the Riffelalp Resort and the resort’s location high above Zermatt surely makes it one of the world’s most awe-inspiring dining venues. The inventive international cuisine is complemented by a lack of formality and outstanding service that makes it a delightful place to while away the evening. So, with the Matterhorn as your skyline and the star-spangled night sky as your backdrop, raise a glass of one of the cellar’s very fine vintages to a thoroughly memorable evening.Visit Website - Riffelalp Resort