1. Drinking a lot of water is healthyBasic rule: Weight x 35 : 1000 = ideal amount of water. Ice cold water and drinking whilst eating puts pressure on digesting and should be avoided.
2. A large warm meal after 6pm is unhealthy and makes you fatFrom 6pm onwards, our digestive output sinks. Fat and animal proteins (fish, meat, eggs and milk products) are not digested as well as others.
Eating a warm meal helps, though. By eating vegetables, pasta, rice and soup in the evening, the digestive system is not pressurised.
3. Vegan proteins are healthier than animal proteinsAnimal protein is harder to digest. The quality of meat should be good and not eaten more than 3 times per week.
Vegetarian protein is found in pulse, seeds, nuts, corn and tofu. Generally protein should be eaten at lunch, which is when the digestive system works its strongest.
4. Humans need meatThat is a matter of opinion. Theoretically, if you eat a balanced vegetarian meal, including iron and vitamin B12 from another source , it is possible to live without meat.
5. Olive oil consumption reduces the risk of heart attacksGood quality olive oil can reduce the risk of a heart attack. The fat from grape seed, flax and coconut oils thins the blood and cleans the blood vessels.
6. Drinking beer makes your belly get fatYou won‘t get a belly from beer alone. Beer bellies only develop from too much and regular consumption, combined with little exercise and poor nutrition.
7. Bread makes you gain weight
Not directly. Whole-grain bread keeps you full for longer and delivers valuable nutrients.
White bread often contains additives, E numbers, sugar and preservation ingredients, that put pressure on the metabolism. Toasted bread digests easier.
8. A glass of wine per day is good to prevent heart strokes1dl of red wine is healthy, should though not become a daily habit. Drinking more increases the blood pressure and contains many calories.
9. Too much salt uptake per day raises the risk of hypertension
More than 6g/day can increase your blood pressure and increase water storage.
Salt is also hidden in bread, cheese, bouillon, biscuits, meat and sauce.
10. Coffee is not healthyNot directly. Drinking regularly more than 4 cups per day won’t benefit you. The best time to drink an espresso is after lunch and black.
Do the myths matter?
Some of these common beliefs are actually true.
But dividing them into true or false, healthy or unhealthy food is not the main factor.
It‘s far more important not eating too much at the wrong time, or unconsciously eating without taking any pleasure in it.
„ It‘s far more important to not eat too much at the wrong time, or unconsciously eat without taking any pleasure in it.
Find out moreStefan Labas is a highly experienced personal coach with an extensive background in health, vitality and diet.
Stefan is also director of labas results , a results-oriented personal training and coaching studio near Zürich.